First Day Out for the Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by edster951, Nov 6, 2007.

1. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them out for a "free range" with mum today, and kept the others away. They didn't seem to bothered by them anyway.

I think because of her relaxed nature, the chicks are the same. We can just walk up to her and the chicks and pick them up with no panic or worries by the chicks or mum..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] aww how cute......love the mom looking off the ledge.......[​IMG]

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    What a good mama. I bet they loved being out.

4. edster951

They did enjoy the open spaces and freshly mown lawn clippings to scratch in.

They'll get another outing today if the weather clears, and I'll test it again with the other chickens as well, and see how well they mix.

As I said in an earlier post in someone thread, I think integration is made easier because mother hen is so relaxed with them, not like our other hen who challenged everything and everyone, and upset the pecking order. Chicken little is not like that, so the others have accepted her and the chick nicely. Like I said, another test today.

5. edster951

Well that went OK..

This white chicken, called Bossy, you can guess why, she's the leader, came over and fed. They almost fluffed up but I say "NO". Bossy gave one of the chicks a peck to say..."I'm the Boss!!" but that was all.
    [​IMG]

Leave my bread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brown one, Naughty Nana, hatched the black one, Chicken Little, who hatched the chicks....

[​IMG]

Even though all went well today, I still wasn't 100% comfy with the situation. But is was still uneventfull except for Bossy little peck on a chick.

Same again tomorrow.

6. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    awe, that is soooo cute, I luv them little chickies! Thanks for the pics!

7. Hannah'sPlaidChickens

Hannah'sPlaidChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    you're so lucky to have suck a laid back flock! When I once introduced the first ever clutch of chicks with mama, I thought all was well. When I left for school one day, I came home to find only four of six had even made it through the day. Now my hens are used to the babies however, and I can feel confident that they won't harm the little ones. Great Pictures!

8. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    nice birds [​IMG]

9. edster951

Hannah'sPlaidChickens :

you're so lucky to have suck a laid back flock! When I once introduced the first ever clutch of chicks with mama, I thought all was well. When I left for school one day, I came home to find only four of six had even made it through the day. Now my hens are used to the babies however, and I can feel confident that they won't harm the little ones. Great Pictures!

I stayed with mine for 20 minutes then coaxed the chicks and mum into their seperate run. Even though nothing looked like happening, I still don't think I could trust them for the day.

After 3 weeks (two weeks time), I'll leave them out, but watch them from the house for a few hours.

It might be a different story if mum takes them into the main coup.​

10. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    Great pics!!! The mommy is beautiful!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by