First day out of the coop....darn cats

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kuulgrl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    So I've had 3 ladies in the coop since saturday and decided to see how they would do foraging in the yard today. Silly newbie that I am, didn't put the cats in the house first and they scared/chased the ladies off. UGH!

One is in the brush out back and the other 2 are keeping warm spots under the neighbors trailer. :-( It's a good think my neighbor is cool about this. LOL

I left trails of bread crumbs back to the coop for them and hope they will come home to roost.

Tomorrow the cats will get first shift outside and the chickens will get the afternoon shift. Time to start looking for materials for a run, that I was hoping we could do without.

2. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have a little kitten that lives out in the yard. He likes to think he's a mighty hunter. My chickens just laugh at him and carry on. They can co exist, but just be careful.

3. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I think we're good with shifts for now. ;-) Really the cats don't HAVE to go outside, they just like it.

Two have come back and are now digging in the compost pile behind the coop.

I still haven't seen the third but I won't worry till tonight.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    My cats couldn't be trusted for a minute with my chicks when they were brooding in the house. I couldn't even let them be in the same room unless I was there to supervise even though they were in a secured brooder with a wire top. There was too much risk of them knocking the brooder light over. When the chicks were full sized and starting to free range a bit, the cats still thought they were mobile snack food. They now have an uneasy truce, and one of the pullets will actually chase a cat, but, I still don't trust them completely b/c the cats stalk them when they are scratching around in the underbrush.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I hope your third girl comes back. I'd recommend the run for them, even if you plan to let them free range quite a bit. Predators are a real risk, and there will be times when it will be safer to keep the girls shut in for a day or two.

6. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    Well, they are all back together. ;-) Since they don't understand borders they are wandering the neighbors yard a little too. No worries though.

Learning as we go. The kids love them already or should I say love to chase them.

7. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    We let the cats out today with all the chickens and it was fine.

Snarf our big cat gave chase a little but we stomped around after him and he soon lost interest. One of the kittens (7months) didn't even care. The other was in full sneak, and pounce mode, but was way to slow. LOL

I think it helps that there's 6 chickens to 3 cats. ;-)

9. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yay! I love kitties! Today I. Integrated mmy newbies into the flock. So far so good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by