First day out! Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by stcroixusvi, Jul 8, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Finally we got part of the run finished for a supervised outing. It was a total disaster as we should have waited until early evening. Might have been fine, except an afternoon thunderstorm - a big one - rumbled in and it started pouring. I thought for sure the blueberries I had would entice them in.....no. Too much fun running around. I finally got all but 7 in, and had to crawl around under the coop to catch them. In the house, they are docile - not outside!

Here are some photos of the adventure early on - later I was too busy in the rain rounding them up.

First ones out - BPRs brave souls
    [​IMG]

Then they are joined by some others
    [​IMG]

Next, crowding on the platform - no one wants to be the first down the gangplank....

[​IMG]

No pushing, please

[​IMG]

Stevie is usually first in everything, but not this case - he is very suspect
    [​IMG]

Finally, he happily marches on - he does everything with flair.

[​IMG]

2. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    NIce Flock!!!!![​IMG]

3. Kyle241

Kyle241 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Hah, that is funny having to chase after them...well maybe not for you! Is that their FIRST day out from the coop or from the brooder??? They look very big for a brooder so I am assuming the coop. How old are they? We're planning on kicking ours out to the coop tomorrow and they are 3 1/2 weeks and they spend the next week in the coop to get used to it. I like the coop by the way.

4. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:First day out of the coop - they have been in the coop for two weeks, and you are right, too old! They are 8+ weeks! We didn't start the coop until the weekend after they arrived [​IMG] Not so smart! They were in the brooder for 6 weeks - although at some point we stopped putting the top back on and let them take over our sun room - very fun cleaning!

5. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks, they are a lot of fun! I had no idea chickens had personalities [​IMG]

6. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Nice birds! I love the black & gold ones!

What are these?
    [​IMG]

7. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:They are Polish chicks. Stevie is a golden laced and Rosie is wheat colored. When I placed my order for chicks I found this top hat special, 5 straight run chicks, random top hats. All turned out to be Polish, although one, Ruthie, is a bantam - she is one of the crowd, black with white top feathers, on the platform waiting to go down the plank.

8. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Quote:They are Polish chicks. Stevie is a golden laced and Rosie is wheat colored. When I placed my order for chicks I found this top hat special, 5 straight run chicks, random top hats. All turned out to be Polish, although one, Ruthie, is a bantam - she is one of the crowd, black with white top feathers, on the platform waiting to go down the plank.

They are beautiful [​IMG]

9. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    They are great!! [​IMG] Mine are 3 weeks today and I am anxiously awaiting my hubby to finish our coop and even get started on the run![​IMG] I keep telling him he better get on it.....I don't think he realizes how fast they are outgrowing the brooder. He will definitely need to see this post, maybe it will light a fire under his #$*! We have some polish as well so I love looking at the pics of yours so I see what to expect.[​IMG]

10. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Please post pics! I love to see others as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by