First day out!(Sorry- No Pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks R Friends NOT Food, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I'm excited my chicks are finally big enough to go out in their coup. They used to squeeze through the fence, so they were inside. I'm so nervous that they'll find a way out. So far so good though. Will they go in by themselves at night?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I think that is a learned behavior, hopefully someone smarter than me will answer this.

3. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    They did go in! Day one was a success! [​IMG]

4. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    I hear ya i put mine out last week first night out it snowed about 2 inches but they are doing good

5. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    How old are your chicks? I'm thinking of putting mine out in the coop with the heat lamp and a draft guard. I know lots of people brood in the coop, but it has been so cold. It's still 30's and 40's at night, but nice during the day. Think they'd be okay at 2 1/2 weeks? Coop is secure.

6. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    what helps to make them go in is to keep their food in the coop, so when they get hungry, they go in. my ducks have learned when it gets close to dark, its time to go to bed and get some dinner. and um....where are the pics????

7. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    I think mine are 1 1/2 or 2 months old.. and I WISH I could put up pics, but the chord to my camera is lost so.. I can take them, but not put them on the computer. [​IMG] Still looking for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by