First Day Out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Megs72, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Megs72

Megs72 In the Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Boston, MA Area
    And they are SO HAPPY!

[​IMG]

2. Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    how old are they? mine went out 3 das ago and they are 7-8 weeks, they love it, but its been chilly lately, was 55 lastnight, they are lucky they got the pine chips to keep them warm.

3. Megs72

Megs72 In the Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Boston, MA Area
    mine are 6 weeks - and im a sucker because they will come in at night.

Cool here too - 60's

How many do you have? What kind?
    Im becoming a chicken hoarder [​IMG]

I got 2 more - and I think this one is a roo (that'll teach me)

[​IMG]

4. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Congrats! I put my girls out at 8 weeks last weekend and they love it. Me, not so much!! It got pretty cold last night, in the 40's and I was fretting! If I'm this worried in June, I will be a complete wreck in December!! Mine have pine shavings and each other to keep them warm. I hope that is enough!! I wanted to bring them a blanket but my husband reminded me they have their own down blankets!

5. Grateful Dad

Grateful Dad In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2012
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    I have 2 jersey giants and 3 orpingtons, they are all feathered but for under the wings. they are way bigger than most birds i see at the same age too!
    Im just guessing at the age, so Im not really sure about that. their tails are coming out real nice too so they may be older.
    It seems as though they are growing alot faster now that they have more room to jump and run, they are very playful with eachother and love worms and mosquitos, I got them a bag of those dried meal worms for extra protein since they are supposed to be big variety hens.

6. Sus248

Sus248 Hatching

Apr 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Looking forward to that first day out....my 6 chicks are only 2 weeks old. I'm building the same "Garden Coop" you show in the top photo. Love the plans, I just hope it's done in time. It won't be long before the brooder seems too crowded. I'm amazed at how much they've grown already in 2 weeks!

7. Megs72

Megs72 In the Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Boston, MA Area
    We love the coop we built, and used reclaimed material from a friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: