First Day Outside Deaths

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BradyMSU, May 4, 2008.

1. BradyMSU

BradyMSU Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Marshall, Michigan
    First time chicken owner here. It's been a warm sunny day in southern Michigan so I let my 3+ week old chicks outside for the first time today to explore their run. They were nervous but eventually the more timid ones came out no doubt inspired by the happy chirps of the braver ones who were feasting on bugs and lettuce. After watching them for a couple hours to make sure they were okay, I went inside.

I came out this afternoon and walked up my hill to the coop and saw eight of them were lying on the front porch of their coop, on their sides, wings spread out, feet in the air, no sign of life. My heart skipped a beat and I ran toward the coop to find what animal have gotten passed my four lines of defense. As I got near the coop, the dead chickens jumped up and ran inside. Relieved but perplexed, I pulled out my copy of Keeping Poultry to discover they were simply sunbathing. What a relief! But I wonder, do chickens get sunburns?

1 person likes this.
  2. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    [​IMG][​IMG]:woot

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I don't know about sunburns, but thanks for the great giggle!!![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    it is funny, when we have the chicks and they are laying under the light, they lay our flat like they are dead! It is weird, the first time I saw that my husband said, yep, they are dead.... then he laughted and tapped on the box and they were all "revived!!!"

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Shame on you! You scared me! Thank heavens they were all okay. Don't do that again! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    Haha that honestly worried me. I was like HOW DO YOU LOSE EIGHT ON THE FIRST DAY!?

1 person likes this.
  7. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
    OH my goodness!!!

I just put my six babies outside today - saw your post and went into panic mode. Glad I didn't start screaming and freak out hubby. My heart was already halfway out to the coop though.

Agh. Once I realized you were just as scared your babies had died it did ease the panic somewhat. lol

Oh my! Its gonna be a looong night.

1 person likes this.
  8. plapczynski

plapczynski Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Chillicothe, OH
    Good Story!

1 person likes this.
  9. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

:lol:They do live life with GUSTO, don't they?!? Life is so thrilling and exhausting for them... yep, had me worried, too! I put my RIR hens outside for a few hours since it was so nice, but by the time I was getting them back inside the cleaned coop, their run was wet from melting snow and I'm thinking of laying down more shredded paper & straw so they can go out again. Need to move that coop from the backyard neighbor's and set the run onto their coop! Bulbs in a coop do not compare to natural sunshine in any way, shape or form! Sit out there w/a cup of tea and relax, you need it now LOL

10. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yep! The first time my chicks did the sunbathing thing I just about [​IMG] It still gives me a start and I feel just a bit unnerved when little ones lay flat out under their heat lamp. They really do look soooo dead. [​IMG] Thanks for posting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by