1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First day outside!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Agilityscots, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    My girls will be three weeks old on Monday, and I wanted to get them outside today because the weather is just gorgeous...and I've been dying to let them see the big world! I set up a little makeshift pen with some plastic netting, put their waterer outside and then popped them all in a puppy crate. It was SO funny watching them do their chicken thang! They scratched, they chased one another around every time one had a "find" of some sort, and ate their first bugs. They had some grit with breakfast this morning to prepare them for their lunch. [​IMG]

Ophelia, my stripey little Gold-laced Wyandotte, needs to be renamed Dipstick. She repeatedly found little twigs, then ran around chirping like crazy; the others would try to steal her goodie, but they soon gave up when they realized she was an idiot and was only carrying around twigs. Dipstick!

On a more sinister note, it didn't take long for the red-tailed hawks and a sharpie to find us. Four or five circled above us for a while, and I sat myself right inside the little pen (no bigger than 4 feet around) and when one flew over the neighbor's house, I got up and clapped and yelled. I don't know if that's what made them go away, but they didn't come back. I love hawks but I don't want them eating my chicks!

Here are some pics of their first outing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    Totally cute!! Wonderful looking babies!
    Kristyne

3. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    How sweet. I wish the rain would stop here so I could take mine outside. It's gonna be a culture shock when they finally get to go out!

4. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thank you! They were very silly at first, huddling in the corner like, well, a bunch of chickens, but it didn't take long for them to start wandering around. When a helicopter flew overhead, they all froze in place for about thirty seconds and I laughed so hard I almost cried...they're just too funny!! Their intense little chicken behaviors just make me laugh!

Amy

5. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

The first time outside with them is always such fun -and it just gets better from there! Thanks for the pics of the cute chicks! [​IMG]

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Great pix Amy and thanks for sharing!

Dawn

7. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    lol mine follows me around the yard while i prepair there breakfast and it is so cute because when i stop it flys on my sholder and then on my head! lol silly bird.
    congrats now think when they start laying!!!!

8. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    LOL, Trey, I think I'm going to pass out when I get my first egg! [​IMG]

Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by