First day outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ridgefire, May 9, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Well I put the kids out for their first time today while I cleaned their pigsty brooder. Who would have thought chicks were so dusty...oh yeah everyone here.

It was funny when their little feet hit the dirt they didnt know what to do. They just stood there like what is this stuff.

I have an old wooded deck out for them to hide under and play on. Beautiful day and where do I find them all, hanging out under the deck in the shade instead of the sun. [​IMG]

On a side note is dog poop bad for them. I thought I had it all but apparently the lab left one finally treat for them. I caught them all scratching through it.

Funny part is how small of a space those boogers can fit through. I went inside and cleaned for a little bit. I looked out the window and I had one of the leghorns running around the outside of the fence trying to get back in. The other girls were just watching like hey you did it to yourself. [​IMG]

I did learn one thing today I am no good at chicken wrangling, man they're fast. I had to corner them to get them into the tub to bring them back in. I didnt want to leave them out too long its only 55 today, and they were hanging out in the shade.

One more thing...What do you all think Boy or Girl??? Its a California White leghorn, 4 weeks old. Its the only one with such a large comb. Oh and yes the picture makes it look like its bald but I was holding to get its picture so its just the way I was holding it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ridgefire,
    My chicks went out for the first time today too! And funny thing is, I had the same question about the dog poo. [​IMG] I just kept shooing mine away until I had them all in an area away from it.
    The hardest part about "free-ranging" 21 chicks? Getting 21 chicks back in their brooder. I'm tired. [​IMG]
    I don't know that much about leghorns, but that large comb makes me think roo.

3. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Anyone else? is it a boy or a girl?

4. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I have Leghorns, and you have a roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by