First day with chickens - already lost one!!

EasternPromise

Chirping
Jul 9, 2021
So... I've been expecting that there would be attacks. Nightime critters. Airborne swoops. But I would at least expect evidence of a crime.

I brought six hens home today and am getting them acclimatized to their (uncovered) run. Left window open so I could keep an ear out. I came out two hours later to check in, and one is completely missing. No feathers, no blood, no sign of it...

There are hawks and osprey in my area, but the hens have plenty of stuff to hide under and I would have at least expected to hear some commotion. Am I a bad dad??

So... I've been expecting that there would be attacks. Nightime critters. Airborne swoops. But I would at least expect evidence of a crime.

I brought six hens home today and am getting them acclimatized to their (uncovered) run. Left window open so I could keep an ear out. I came out two hours later to check in, and one is completely missing. No feathers, no blood, no sign of it...

There are hawks and osprey in my area, but the hens have plenty of stuff to hide under and I would have at least expected to hear some commotion. Am I a bad dad??
At night chickens won't move from their roost because they can't see. Easy pickings for predators. Uncovered pens are open to any predator that can climb or fly, such as raccoons, possums, stray cats, owls, eagles, mountain lions and cougars. Many of which can steal chickens without a trace.

At night chickens won't move from their roost because they can't see. Easy pickings for predators. Uncovered pens are open to any predator that can climb or fly, such as raccoons, possums, stray cats, owls, eagles, mountain lions and cougars. Many of which can steal chickens without a trace.
I have a covered chickshaw but was intending for the chickens to free range in the daytime. I guess I'll have to look into some netting for protection.

I have a covered chickshaw but was intending for the chickens to free range in the daytime. I guess I'll have to look into some netting for protection.
That would be a good idea. You can still free range them if you want, but it's safer for them if there's a coop and run for them to go in at night. We free range ourselves but their locked up at night.

Back
Top Bottom