First Day :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MagsC, Aug 14, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have six Dutch Banty eggs I am setting in the incubator around 5 pm today. So the countdown for me has begun![​IMG] Now I just have to wait....and wait....and wait...[​IMG]

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I'm on day 8, so I feel for you. Good luck, hope they hatch out beautifully!

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thank you! I got these Dutch Banty eggs from a BYC member, LilRalphieRoosMama. She did an excellent job of packaging them and they got here with no fuss. She is definitely a great person to buy eggs from! I am keeping my fingers crossed that the post office didnt mess them up too badly, but I know thats the risk with shipped eggs.
    LOL, my 15 year old keeps looking at the eggs and asked "are there REALLY babies in those????"[​IMG] She is excited to try this out as I am. Right now we are using a styrofoam incubator but going to be getting at least one smaller, better quality incubator in the upcoming week.Either Lyons or Brinsea, possibly both. I believe its definitely worth it. In the meantime we are going to do our best with what we have![​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] for you! Keep us posted [​IMG]

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, they went into the incubator around 5 pm today, so I guess technically tomorrow would be the first day? Like everybody when they are incubating, fingers crossed![​IMG]

6. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    My Showgirls went in the bator around 4 pm. Fingers crossed here too!!!![​IMG]

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Well I'm right there with you all. A dozen Welsummer eggs went in at 3:30pm. So tomorrow is really day 1.

Good luck to all of you. I know I sure need it, LOL.

Shane

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    LOL, good to know I have company![​IMG]

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Are you all incubating in a carton or ...?

I went with the carton method the last time (first 18 days). However, in my still air bator the difference in temp between the top and bottom is large (5-6 degrees).

This time I'm just laying them on the grate and rolling them to turn them. This way I only have one "level" to worry about the temps with.

Day 1 -- Yeah!

Are we there yet!!

Shane

10. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am using a carton this time and going with the dry incubation method. We shall see what happens!
    Never has three weeks seemed to be so far away!!![​IMG] Oh well, it will get it when it gets here,lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by