First Death... =[

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BackyardBantams, Nov 5, 2011.

1. BackyardBantams

BackyardBantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Raleigh
    One of my Old English (at least that's what the woman who sold them to us said they were) was acting sickly yesterday. She was off on her own from the rest of the girls and had her head pulled down to her chest. She didn't even perk up when I went to give them their rainy day oatmeal. I went out this morning and noticed she wasn't in the run and I knew. Opened the coop up and she was dead in front of the nesting boxes. She was lying on her stomach, wings out, eyes closed and beak slightly open. She had been fine up until about 2 days ago, but yesterday she was really bad.

Any thoughts on what could have happened?

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    oh I am so sorry,
    sometims it just happens [​IMG]

3. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sudden unexpected deaths are not unusual in poultry. There is really not enough info to even hazard a guess as to what happened. Keep an eye on the rest of the flock to ensure you don't have an illness at work.

Sorry for your loss. Good luck.

5. donna8424

donna8424 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2009
    Florida
    I am so sorry for your loss , I hope the others are ok [​IMG]

6. carlyb

carlyb New Egg

Nov 6, 2011
    So sorry to hear about your chicken. I also lost a chicken this morning. I am so sad. Found her dead in the chicken coop. I have no idea what happened could have happened to her to her. She was only 2 and one of my favorite chickens. I just hope she didn't suffer.

I lost a barred rock about 2 years ago. Similar to what you are describing. She was only about a year old. Fine one day, not moving much the next and by the end of the evening she had passed. The rest of my flock was fine.

So hard losing a pet : (

7. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    sry about your chicken [​IMG]

8. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    I'm so sorry, that's so sad. [​IMG] I hope everybody else is ok!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by