First Dirt Bath!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliaronan, Dec 14, 2011.

1. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    Ahh! My sweet little darlings went out today and figured out how to scratch a hole and take a dirt bath! (7 week old O's) The sun was shining and warm so I took them out to the dog log (minus dog) and sat with them for a long while. They lolled in the sun and scratched themselves out a shallow little hole and took took wallowing in it. Very cool indeed!

2. kayjan

kayjan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Southeast Louisana
    It's fun to watch them take a dirt bath. They look like Pig Pen, stand up, shake off and look at you like....what??????

3. juliaronan

juliaronan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Locust Grove
    It was precious! Just watching them figure out new things each day is amazing! They are the sweetest little birds!

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I can't ever seem to get any good photos when they're dustbathing. I think it's one of those things that have to be seen to be appreciated. They're lovely! [​IMG]

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I love the way they just ... Well what do you call it? It looks like the went 'splat'.
    They are all spread out and 'loose as a goose', but they are chickens. [​IMG]

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    It's adorable, isn't it? [​IMG] I like how they always seem to get in each others' way. [​IMG] They squash up close together, and suddenly out shoots a leg into someone else's wing... [​IMG]

7. Nikki82

Nikki82 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2011
    I just saw my EE chick (who I think is close to 8wks now) take a dust bath. Not sure if it's his first, but it was so cute.[​IMG]

8. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    u noe wats more cute 2 day old tryin to dust bath omg sooo cute she was movin like 2 specks of dirt with each kick it was soo cute i was about to have a cute overload and die lol

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I too just love to watch my girls dust bathing. It's been raining and just yesterday they all found a dry spot under the playscape and huddled together for their baths. It's raining hard today so I guess they will have to wait till later.

10. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Chicken TV is the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by