first diy quail cage

m.rogers

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 27, 2008
Glen Burnie MD.
This Sunday I am going to build some diy wire quail cages. I am thinking a 2'x2' cages but how tall sould I make it I was thinking about 10" tall does that sound good to you or not. I was going to put 4 quail (1 male-3 female) in each cage and make 4 cages. If you diyers out there could changes anything about your cages what would it be. I will be using 1"x2" garden fenceing and 1/2" for the bottoms. Any think you guys can think of would be great help.

Mike

I wouldn't use the 1x2 fencing, unless you are sure nothing can get them, like if they are in a secure building or such.

Many of my cages are 2x2, and those are each 2' high as well. I think 10" might be a bit short, but it should be okay for 'normal' sized birds. The males stretch up when they crow, I don't know if the 10" would allow them to do this right. My jumbos have about 11-12" height and seem to do fine, though it looks cramped in there
roll.png

If I were making my own cages, I would make sure the top was solid and part of the floor, this would save on the need to cover the top for the leaky roof
hmm.png
as well as the need to put a piece of wood or whatever in there for them to stand on, other than just wire.

Other than that, I think they're okay as-is.
smile.png

shelly thanks for your in put.

I think I will go with 12" tall cages and they will be in my shead for the winter and when spring roles back around they will be move out side. Over the winter I will be building a lean-to to move the cage under for good. I will be getting 8 bobwhites and 8 coturnix. As for the garden fences I have a 50' role in my wife shead just sitting there. I have my chickens in a coop with the run make out of the same garden fenecs with no top and most night I leave the door on the run open (going on a year now) with no losses.

mike

Whoa Whoa Did you say you where using 1x2 inch fence for the cage?
If so a quail will squeeze right through it. The smaller the better you want to keep out cat & raccoon paws, also rats. 1/2" x 1/2 " is what I use.
However you might criss cross that 1x2 to make the opening only 1x1 that will keep the quail in unless there are buttons or young quail. Good luck I know cage building gets exspensive.

skywatcher thanks for your in put.

I have seen alot of cages made of the 1x2in. wire fence and alot out of 1/2x1/2in. stuff. I have seen a cage on here that had the white closet shelving for feeding and that is 1in. by something like 4,5 or 6in. (1x5in.) and this persons quail stay in thier cage. But would love to see what some other quail keepers think and if some of you can post some pick of how your cages were made or tell me a little about yours cages that would be great and I will say thanks now.

Mike

Last edited:
I would definitely go with 1/2"x1/2". If I knew how to build a decent cage that's what I'd do. Snakes & rats can squeeze thru some really small spaces. Good luck. Do some pics.

I found a full-grown rat inside one of my quails' cages one day, it was in the feeder. The cage is made of 1" square wire, and the feeder is a long chick feeder. So they can definitely squeeze through some small holes!

So would a 12" height be suitable for all types of quail? I am building a pen for outside of the house. I planned for 4'L X 18"W X 12"H. The cage will house birds until they are big enough to more the bit coop. I plan to use it for Cotunix, bob's, and Chukars.

Quote:
12" is good for the coturnex but bobs need a larger cage for flight. the chukars need to be a little taller due to they are a larger bird

Back
Top Bottom