First Double Yolker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melissakins, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Melissakins

Melissakins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'm pretty sure I know which hen did it, but we got our first double yolker last week! I'm so proud! I cracked it yesterday to make pumpkin pie. Didn't take a pic of it first - DUR! But it had two beautiful yolks in it from one of our Barred Rock girls - Rudy.

I sat outside for a few moments yesterday after filling their feeder because She was in the house sitting in the "egg laying corner". She was real quiet, but after a few minutes, she stood up and looked at the egg under her. I just waited for a bit more and she pushed out an egg while I was waiting there. How cool! I've not seen a hen do that since I was a kid in Germany!

Very proud chicken mamma [​IMG]

2. sal39759

sal39759 New Egg

Nov 2, 2009
    It seems that I have a pullet that has been laying about 2 weeks now and every egg she has laid so far have been doubles....even her first one.

3. Melissakins

Melissakins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    South Alabama
    After laying her big eggs she'll lay small ones for a few days, then back to the big ones. She's a great producer thus far.

4. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by