1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Duck. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by neferset, Oct 22, 2009.

1. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My first baby duckling hatched this morning. I am hoping I get more soon. I put him in the other bator with my newest chick because they were trying to get through the sides of the incubators to each other and the duck was somehow able to pry up a corner of the lid. They seem happier now. (In the future, I might have to explain why my baby duck follows a bantam chicken everywhere, though.)

Does anyone have any tips for me? Other than the fact that I probably shouldn't have put the duckling in with the chick?

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My 3 ducks were in the brooder with my chicks, they did just fine together! They do make more of a mess with water than the chicks but otherwise they will be fine together! The chicks always cuddled with the ducks for warmth, it was too cute!
    I used a gallon of milk jug for the ducks water, cut a little bigger than "head" size holes about the middle area of the jug and then put the water in. That way the duck can get their head in and dunk their whole head, they need water with their food so they can eat it.

3. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have a mason jar chick waterer in there for the chicks. Would that be a problem? Of course, if I get more than one, I'll probably put them in a brooder by themselves. I can get as many as 12 or so, I think. They aren't due until tomorrow. I think this little one is the advanced scouting party.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

the waterer will be fine. congrats on your first duck! [​IMG]

5. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My second duck is back to work on his shell! [​IMG] He was so quiet all morning, I thought I lost him.

6. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Chicks are cute and all, but there is just something special about a messy stinky little duckling.

Congrats! You'll have to post pics!

What kind of ducks?

7. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Khaki Campbells, so far. They are the ones hatching on day 27 anyway. I've also got a couple of Rouen and Black East Indies (not sure about them. They candled well all the way through, but I had them in turners while candling. The bottom halves were clear when I took them out of the turners). Oh, and one goose egg.

8. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    My second Khaki Campbell hatched. I put them both in the brooder with the chicks, since everyone was sleepy in there. The Buff Orpington x Rhode Island Red chicks went into an immediate conference (that's exactly what it looked like) and the bantams all huddled around them for warmth.

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I got a laugh out of this. I had the funniest picture in my head of a chicken conference. [​IMG]

10. neferset

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I think they were assessing the potential dangers of the alien threat. [​IMG] They must have decided everything was ok, because this morning they were eating and drinking together. The first little duckling even stopped his little white bantam (the one he was with in the incubator) from being picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by