1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

FIRST DUCK EGG! ok.....two yolkes, both frtalised, but fused?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by prov31gal, Nov 15, 2010.

1. prov31gal

prov31gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    im almost certain this is a duck egg, its HUGE. my chikkies and duckles are in together and so i guess technically it doesnt HAVE to be a ducks egg.
    ive been waiting and waiting, and its past time someone should lay. this egg looks like a duks egg, its very large, and wide, but its a pinkish color, kind of a light pinkish brown.
    now, ive got anconas, and i dont know what color variations they lay..........so what do you think?

EDIT...SO I CRACKED IT OPEN, AND THE YOLKS ARE FUSED! BUT BOTH HAVE BULLSEYE RINGS! BIZZARRO! IM GOING TO GO CHECK OUT MU CHIKKIES AND MAKE SURE WHOVER LAYED THIS IS OK!

here are some chicken eggs from our girls, they vary in size
    [​IMG]

and here is the egg next to one of the chicken eggs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. quiltbea

quiltbea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    I don't know what you've got, but I love it.
    Someone with knowledge will surely post soon.

3. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    i wanted to add that it wont fit in the egg carton, its almost too tall to close and its too fat to fit inside the little cup space.

4. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    im hoping this is a duck egg.....................anyone?

5. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    It really does look a little too brown for the duck eggs I know. I'm guessing a double yolked chicken egg...

6. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    well, see ive had crazy big eggs from chickens before, and double youlkers. this is by far too huge! if this came out of a chicken, id expectto see blood. there was none.
    . ill have to break it open and see. but this egg is fully 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
    it is totally possibe its a chicken egg, but WOW.
    im going to crack it open now and see!

7. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    I don't know about Anconas but I have Black Swedish and they surprised me when they started laying the eggs were black they have lightened considerably to a gray color like or lighter than the giant double yolker on the right of picture

[​IMG]

from MCM "will lay mostly white eggs with an occasional blue or gray tinted egg"

8. Urbanfarmerkc

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    what kind of duck do you have... that will help us help you.

BTW, duck eggs tend to be slicker and a little waxier than chicken eggs. The also tend to repel water. Not all but when I spray my chicken eggs, the water seems to evaporate into the egg but when I spray a duck egg it seems to bead and drip off.

9. Urbanfarmerkc

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Quote:Bless her heart. Let us know how she is!

10. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Duck eggs are also harder to crack than a chicken egg. They have a thicker shell and a waxy coating. I think your big egg is from a chicken. Doesn't look like a duck egg to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by