first duck eggs !!!! anyone experienced in buff and or runner eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by someguyhere, Mar 14, 2017.

1. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    [​IMG]

so we have been waiting for the ducks to start laying their first eggs. we have 2 females one buff and one chocolate/black runner and one male white crested, im assuming its a pekin or jumbo pekin background anyways getting off track. i was thinking there would be some differences in the eggs but they look almost identical. almost all white shell with a slight maybe green tone. think one duck laid 2 eggs or they both just lay similar eggs? we want to try and hatch them, do you all think thats a good idea or wait till she lays a few more. they look like nice nice eggs to an amateur lol we already collected them and sitting in a cool dry room right now.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Buffs lay a creamy white egg and my Runners lay blue eggs[Runner colors are black/blue and silver. ]I have heard you should wait a least a week or 2 when ducks just start up laying but you can crack one open and check for fertility. Then put them in the incubator

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My Buff lays creamy white eggs too.......

Best of luck hatching...;)......

Cheers!..:)

4. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    awesome thanks for the repies. maybe the buff layed 2

5. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mine too.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @someguyhere maybe it's just the lightening but one of those eggs looks like it have a slight blue tint?

[​IMG]

sorry lightening isn't so good but I think you can see the difference Runner on the left Buff on the right

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by