First duck eggs!! Found in pond

Heather-nikole

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2018
First time duck owner. I love it. I have 9 mallard ducks. 5 female 4 male. They are about 6 to 8 months old. And I also have 5 muscovy ducks. 3 female 2 male same age.
I found an egg in my pond today. I didn't think my ducks where old enough yet and with it becoming fall. (I live in southern mo) I figured I wouldn't get any eggs till next year. I went into there house and looked around and I found another egg. Up to 2 eggs :)
Is it normal for them to lay in the pond? I don't have nest boxes for them. Well didn't I put 6 in there for right now. Any advice for good nesting boxes for them? And how can I tell if the egg is OK to eat. Have u had duck egg? If so how did it taste?

Congratulations on getting your first egg :). I have 4 mallards 3 females & 1 male they are so much fun. I don't have nesting boxes in their pen they just lay the eggs in the corner of the pen, but when they first started laying they did lay a couple in their kiddie pool that's in there pen that they use at night, I would not use they eggs you find in the pond/pool. But I have eaten the eggs they taste just like chicken eggs

20180921_163149.jpg

Back
Top Bottom