First Duck Hatch - Please help me 'sit on my hands'

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewAussieChook, Nov 14, 2015.

1. NewAussieChook

NewAussieChook Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    Hi all,

My almost-4-year-old and I are hatching Indian Runners at the moment - just 5 eggs. We're at day 28 today and ALL have pipped. We're used to hatching chicks, this is our first go at ducks.

We have one of those cheap 10-egg Chinese incubators - we have wet sponges in there to help the humidity get higher.

Egg 1: Pipped the right end - 26 hrs ago. Not much action. Occasionally rocks.
    Egg 2: Pipped the right end - 20 hrs ago. Not much action.
    Egg 3: Pipped the wrong end - 19 hrs ago. Has attempted unzipping. Has a hole big enough to breathe and little beak coming in and out and cheeping. The membrane is yellow/tan - looks super dry.
    Egg 4: Pipped the right end - 19 hrs ago. Not much action.
    Egg 5: Pipped the wrong end - 15 hrs ago. Doesn't seem to be much action and I don't know whether there is a hole through the membrane yet or not, as it's at a weird angle - pipped at the bottom on the wrong end, tucked in next to the water tray.

I'm not concerned about the ones that pipped the right end - I'm sure they'll work it out. Egg 3 I am concerned for because the membrane is yellow/tan and it's coming the wrong way. But I'm reluctant to open the bator, as I don't want to shrink-wrap the other ones who are pipping. We already lost one at Day 25 - so hoping we don't loose another.

When do I intervene with Egg 3? I'm trying to sit on my hands as much as possible! It's a hard task, hey?

I've had to assist a chick before, so I'm guessing the process is similar for ducks. The one I assisted was coming from the right end though.

Thanks for reading! :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wondering if @duckyfromoz might be around, but we also have @WVduckchick @Lacrystol and @Orca5094 and several other hatchers.

You are paying attention- I have read about shrink-wrapping from opening the incubator at the wrong time.

Let's see if a hatcher checks in - there is a thread Da Cute and Cuddly Call Duck thread, and there are some hatchers there as well.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Where is everyone??? Lets also put a call in for @caesargirl
    and @WVduckchick

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Omg this is exciting hang on let me read all this wooooo hoooo

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    HANDS ON FOR TAKEN EXCELLENT NOTES OF EACH PROCESS..

tell me where the humidity and temp is as well as do you have a fan?

1 person likes this.
  6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm here too if the OP comes back

1 person likes this.
  7. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Sorry guys! Church morning here so we were out (it's Sunday AM in Australia). I appreciate the responses - thank you.

As it stands now:

Egg 1: Pipped the right end - 29 hrs ago. Into the process of unzipping. Can see beak and cheeping.
    Egg 2: Pipped the right end - 23 hrs ago. Not much action.
    Egg 3: Pipped the wrong end - 22 hrs ago. Membrane is yellow/tan. It's made a tiny bit of progress but its very quite now.
    Egg 4: Pipped the right end - 22 hrs ago. Not much action.
    Egg 5: Pipped the wrong end - 18 hrs ago. This one may not be ok. Can't see the pip properly to see whether it made it through the membranes.

The incubator has a fan yes. It's set at 37.1 degrees Celsius currently. Not sure on the humidity, as it's a cheapy, small bator, couldn't fit hygrometer in there with the eggs. However, the water channels both have water and I have added warm sponges (at lock down) - there are been quite a bit of condensation on the sides and floors throughout the whole process of lockdown.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Number 3 needs help if he's still alive.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Can you send a pic of #3, also get a spray bottle fill it with warm water, If you open up the bator give it a spray before closing it back up, this way the humidity will go right back up and you don't loose to much moisture. spray right on the eggs.

1 person likes this.
  10. NewAussieChook

Jan 24, 2014
    Egg 3 - the back right one:

[​IMG]

Egg 1: Coasting along nicely.

[​IMG]

Egg 5 (front left) - can't see the pip (wrong end), just the broken shell.

[​IMG]

Egg 2 (left side):

[​IMG]

Egg 3 (one at front):

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by