First Ducks! (not socialized)

Dec 1, 2020
Hello! I was lucky enough to get my first ducks two days ago. I got a pekin and two khaki Campbells. The Campbells were born on December 4th and the Pekin on the 31st. My only concern is that they were raised mostly away from humans and only with other ducks. So they are not socialized at all. They are very scared of people. So I am wondering if it is still possible to get them used to humans or if I really just need to buy day-olds (which I also did so I could get the Indian runners I wanted). Anyways, does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

Runner duck mom

Songster
Nov 15, 2017
Georgia
Lots of time and patience but it can be done. Find what treats are their favorite and if you can go out at the same times every day to bring them their snack. Our ducks get some veggies each afternoon and they will tell me if I am running late, they have just come to expect it.
If you just sit with them for a bit each day that would help them to get used to you too.
We used to visit a pond regularly and started bringing food for the little muscovy that was there. She was shy at first but got to know my husband and I. Eventually she would see us coming and fly across the pond to see us, even eat out of our hand if she was on shore.
Best of luck with your new ducks😊

Top Bottom