First ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Apyl, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I was at TSC getting DH a chain saw chain and of course fell in love with the ducklings. I picked up two. :) I already have 26 1 week old chicks so I figured whats 2 more bodies lol. The girl at TSC said she doesn't know the breed since they throw all their ducklings together in one tub. I am thinking Pekin but please correct me if my assumption is wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Pekin looks likely to me!

Ducklings have somewhat different water needs than chicks, and need three times the niacin. They grow amazingly quickly, so watch to make sure that in a week the ducklings are still okay in with chicks. It may work out, but just keep an eye on them.

Ducklings can drink from chick waterers at first - that is what I used. But they need to be able to wash their entire heads to avoid foamy eye and sinus, eye and ear infections, so think about how you can do that without creating a drowning hazard for the chicks.

They like to play in water, too, so they can dampen a brooder if you don't have the waterer set up to minimize splash and spill. They cannot help it, they are just duckies [​IMG]

But they are so sweet! [​IMG]

See if a search of the forum on duckling brooder, duckling water gives you more ideas.

3. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

I have them in with the chicks right now but they do have their own brooder also. I put them in with the chicks while I set up their brooder and they cuddled right up with the chicks. So I left them in there for now. I did take them out and show them their brooder and let them check it out but they were making alot of noise so I put them back with the chicks. Then they were fine. lol I guess they got attached already. I figure I'll give them time in their own brooder each day so they can get use to it. Here is a pic of the duckling brooder. I did tweak it a little after taking the pic. I have cardboard going up about 6 inches on the sides and placed a towel in there instead of the papertowel. they loved the carebear lol, both duckling jump on top of it and layed on it.
    [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Awwww,

looks good! I just have read so many first time duckling caregivers get frustrated after two to four weeks, about things that the ducks just can't help. They are so sweet, and such great animals, I found that once I figured out how to manage the water issue (we had eleven Runner ducklings a couple of years ago and nine are still with us, plus two Buffs), it was pretty smooth sailing. Then it was building a predator resistant outdoor shelter. It all happened, eventually.

Enjoy!!!!

5. Erinmir

Erinmir Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    West Alexander, PA
    We picked up two ducklings from TSC yesterday! Ours look just like yours and from what we gather they are Pekins. Ours are in the same brooder that we have a few chicks in for the time being and if necessary we'll separate them out when they get bigger. Ours just love the chicks too! They are little sweethearts so far and enjoy cuddling with me and my hubby for short periods of time. We're hoping they stay this friendly! :)

Anywho, just wanted to shout out to you since you could have our ducks sisters or brothers. :)

ETA - Our ducklings:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

Awww so cute.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    X2 [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] nothing cuter than lil ducklings....

9. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    They look like pekins. They're so cute! I'm so excited for my ducklings hatch. Getting more and more anxious by the minute!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by