First Dust Bath

hollyinpa

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Today I put a bin of dirt into our 3-week old barred rock chicks' pen and they had a blast rolling around in the dirt...I took some video of them if you are interested.

Here's a video of their first visit outside in the grass. If you watch closely you will see our yellow lab, Sierra, sniffing around the pen. Also - our 3 year old barred rock, Gladys, pops her head up to the fence to investigate them for the first time, too.

I can't believe how big they have gotten. In the next two weeks we'll be transitioning to their new outdoor coop. We ordered one from a woodworker in Lancaster, PA that is really cute and was reasonably priced. Pictures to follow...

There was one bag of play sand at the hardware store and I got it to mix with DE for that very purpose. I've dug out an old feed tub that's about 4" high. Monday is supposed to be sunny/dry so...

thank you for sharing, what fun!
cool.png

I just tried some fine sand in a bigger container so all the chicks could fit better together and they were AFRAID of the sand...weren't sure what to do with it. I think they prefer actual dirt from the yard since it's also full pebbles and such...

Back
Top Bottom