FIRST EASTER EGGER EGG/AMERICANA, WOOHOO! Not brown?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    She finally layed an egg! But it was a light brown. Why?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:depends on what color egg the father was hatched out of...that and genetics loves to mess with people:-( My americauna lays huge brown eggs...

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Easter Eggers lay all colors since they are not a true breed anything can happen but because they are not a true breed they often lay more and bigger than the Ameraucana-we have both and the EE's eggs are huge compared to my Ameraucana ladies that lay a bit prettier color

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations! Brown is way nicer than white! I hope your next ones are aquamarine.[​IMG]

5. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    this is what I get from my easter eggers...got a real mix of mutts...the eggs taste great regardless of the color. The egg in the lower left hand corner is one of those nasty, nasty store bought eggs just for comparison.

[​IMG]

6. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    turkeyrangler:

your eggs are booootiful!!!![​IMG]

i'm so jealous.....still no eggs yet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. Coexcharlie

Coexcharlie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2010
    Heart of Cajun Country
    I am finally getting eggs from mine too, I get 3 a day for now till all the other girls stop being lazy and make me some eggs [​IMG] . I have had some that are almost emerald green and some that are brown to tan and brown with spots. I love it and they are soo much better than the store eggs. I just can't wait for ALL the girls to start laying, so I can sell some to the people that keep asking me if I have any eggs yet.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Because she's an Easter Egger, not an Ameraucana. [​IMG] Easter Eggers, being mutts, can lay just about any color of egg. My own EE hen lays a light brown egg as well. It's what happens when people cross real Ameraucanas with brown egg layers, then keep crossing them - You get green and brown eggs.

A good indicator of green vs brown eggs is the comb. If your hen's comb looks like a sawtooth edge (a single comb) she's going to lay a brown egg. If it is lumpy and has three rows, she'll lay a green or blue egg.

9. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    A good indicator of green vs brown eggs is the comb. If your hen's comb looks like a sawtooth edge (a single comb) she's going to lay a brown egg. If it is lumpy and has three rows, she'll lay a green or blue egg."

Wish it were so simple, I have 2 EEs that are nearly identical, Sandy and Sandy Blue, the only difference visually is Sandy Blue side facial feathers flip back from the face. Sandy lays a soft rose colored egg, identical in size and shape to Sandy Blue who lays an aqua egg. Until I lost my black EE, I thought she was the rose egg layer. I really like the EE hens, they are sweet and easy going. I have 4 more in the brooder along with a roo.

10. gramakoko

gramakoko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    I got my first EE egg today too....My chicks are almost 27 weeks.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by