First egg @ 18 weeks( now with photo)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homeinspectorman, Jul 13, 2010.

1. homeinspectorman

homeinspectorman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    SE Oklahoma, Durant
    First egg yesterday. Heard “the song” but could not ID the singer. Girls had been hanging out in their normal hot weather bush, but I did not do a head count until later in the day. One of the BO’s had moved to the front porch which isn’t allowed so I ran her off. She kept sneaking off from the gang the rest of the day. Bed time was traumatic for all of them as I had moved their coop about 40 feet, so I didn’t think anything about the egg song. Watering this morning and there it was, right in the middle of a potted fern. Same girl is in the coop right now making a nest in the box that has been there for some time. Looks like egg number two is on the way. Picture shows the First Egg with a store bought for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's cute! First egg in the fern! Congrats!

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    **sigh**

23 weeks .. and still waiting on mine .. [​IMG]

congrats!

4. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Congrats! Our girls are only 13 weeks so we still have to wait.!!!

5. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Congrats. I had one of my golden comets 15 weeks old come up to my feet on Sunday and lay an egg the shell was soft so a curious onlooker pecked it and it broke but had another outside the coop broken yesterday both with soft shells so yesterday I decided to give oyster shell and got 2 wonderful eggs in the nest boxes today. I share your excitment. It is so exciting. I am sure you will always remember when you see a fern. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

7. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I had one a couple days ago in my brooder pen..they are only 12 weeks..blue and splash orps,

8. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Congrats [​IMG] Good luck with more.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by