First egg 3 weeks early....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daisy_dukers, Sep 8, 2009.

1. daisy_dukers

daisy_dukers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    I got my first egg yesterday, cute lil thing, about half the size of a normal store bought large egg..

My issue is it is about 3-4 weeks early....

I have 25 ISA Browns that are 14 weeks old and I am pretty sure I know which one did it as she developed a red comb early and started the doing egg squat shuffle about 2 weeks ago....

I was planning on finishing up and hanging my nesting boxes this weekend....looks like my plans are getting pushed up.

I put 2 temperary egg boxes with golf balls in them up yesterday just in case it wasn't a one time thing....

Wife thought I was going crazy running around the yard holding the egg above my head cheering like a kid....

I took some pictures yesterday but forgot the memory stick at home.....

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats on the first egg!
    Laying early just proves the point that all chickens are individuals, just like the rest of us. [​IMG]

By the way, not to be a downer but early layers tend to have more laying issues than late layers - egg bound, internal laying, etc., so it wouldn't be a bad idea to read up on these problems so you can recognize them early.

3. Frida's mom

Frida's mom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2009
    I've raised 2 dominikers and 2 buffs from 4 weeks old and one of them, don't know who, layed her first egg yesterday!!!! I have another older dominker who has been laying but when I went to the nest box yesterday and there were TWO eggs I was elated!!! Woohoo!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by