First Egg a Doozy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msviolaceous, Sep 12, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    So, my flock is 20 weeks old today, and no eggs yet. This evening, right before sundown, I went to check on them. I noticed right away that one of my BO's, Lil'Buff, was puffed up. Not 100% puffed like the pictures some people have posted, but still fluffy. First thing I checked was her vent, which seemed to be sticking out just a little, like 1/4": While I was looking, another chicken noticed and pecked it. But I didn't get a good look. I checked for eggs and found nothing. When I looked at Lil'Buff again, she was depuffed! I looked at her bum again and saw nothing. Also, when I tried to hold her down and get a really good look, she squatted, kind of puffed and flattened at the same time, and made a TERRIFYING noise! Then she got into the coop and perched like nothing was wrong.

So, possibilities... I assume she's working on an egg, but does this mean that she's going to prolapse? Or is it normal for their vents to bulge or pulse when they are working on an egg, especially the first? Was the puffiness discomfort at working the egg out, and is that level of discomfort normal? Or maybe, seeing as she's a BO, she's acting a little broody? (It was a REALLY scary noise.) I'm worried about my sweet Lil'Buff! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Were you able to feel an egg making its way down to the vent?

New layers can act kinda funny. I'll bet she's just fine.

3. msviolaceous

Apr 16, 2011
    I was kinda hesitant to prod her very much.

Especially after she threatened my life and slandered my ancestry. [​IMG]

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

Just keep an eye on her. I'll sure she'll be fine.

5. msviolaceous

Apr 16, 2011
    Morning update: everyone's running around like normal, vents are fine. I'm going to go out in about an hour and see if I hear any egg songs. Was it possibly just hormonal fluctuations putting Lil'Buff into a broodyish mood? She is a ... buff!

Anyone else have some weird new layer stories to make me feel better?

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My very first layer - a light brahma - would only lay her eggs in a red lawn chair on the screened porch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by