first egg a double yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mxpres, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I was surprised to find that the first egg from my barred rocks was a double yolk,although small as it was,I was wondering how many of byc members have found double yolks in their first egg? I hope this is a sigh of many more to come [​IMG]

2. mxer

mxer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    W. Cen. Ohio
    Not the first egg, but we have one hen that the majority of her eggs are double yolked.

3. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Both of my Salmon Faverolles laid a double yolk egg for their first egg!
    Since then, they have all been single yolked, which I'm sure they have been happy about since those double yolked eggs are HUGE and they both complained like mad while trying to pass them the first time! [​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    The first couple of weeks were the only time I had 2 or 3 double yolkers...None for almost a year. It only happened with the 'new' layers for me, I have read it happens more often early on until the 'kinks in the plumbing' are worked out.....[​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well congrats and ouch! for her. . . One of my Araucanas' first egg was a double yolker. For such a tiny breed - She laid a huge one! Can you imagine? Your first egg a double yolker? She surely didn't seem too happy laying it. (I was right there when it happened.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by