First egg and a question....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kla37, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    We got our first egg today! A cute little pullet egg. Saving it to show the kids when they get home! I have a question though, everyone on here seems to know which chicken laid which egg, how do you figure that out?

[​IMG]

2. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Do you have one girl who has a redder wattle/comb than the other girls? Do any of them "squat" for you? Squatting is what they do to show submission to a rooster and it typically comes before the egg laying. If you hover your hand over their back and try to touch them, they will often squat down really low. It's funny. [​IMG]

Congrats on your first egg.

Bree

3. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I have 4 squatters, and my barred plymouth rock has the biggest and reddest comb and wattles. She looked very smug when I went out to bring them their treats, maybe she did it! She's also the "boss" of them all. I guess it doesn't matter who did it! I love them and it's kind of sad that they aren't babies anymore! Looking forward to more eggs!

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Some of us know because we hover around the coop waiting to hear the egg song that tells us an egg is being laid....then we rush inside to see the laying hen in the nest box. [​IMG]

Also, we have different breeds that lay different color eggs. Congratulations on your first egg!! Who do you think laid it?

5. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    I'm thinking it was my barred rock, Professor McGonagall. She the bossiest one. I'll have to set up a spot to sit and read on my chicken deck tomorrow morning and just wait for that "egg song". They are such sweet girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by