FIRST EGG!! and a traumatic event...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jeeper1540, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

So a couple weeks ago, i posted my 'first egg' pics in the First Egg Sticky...

this morning i went out and saw my 17 week old Black Star sharing a box with my [a little over] 1 year old Buff Orp. My buff orp seemed not to mind the baby chicks lately, just my BR and White Leghorns. When they were sharing the box i thought it was so cute! lol. then when the BS started moving around, i heard some squawking, and turned around and saw Henny (buff orp) pecking Indigo (BS) right on the head. i ran over and started yelling at Henny! i pulled all the eggs out of the box, and then ripped her out of the box. Indigo was so scared he had stuck his head in the small space in between the boxes and the wall. he stood there for a couple mins, while i was petting him and talking to him, trying to settle him down, when all of a sudden i hear a sound that sounds like a rock dropping on cement. then i see a little egg that he just dropped out. surprisingly it didnt break, but he was scared. i finally got his head out of the corner and picked him up and held him, he was so scared! then i noticed the chunk of comb missing, that Henny pulled out. i put him in the cage that we usually use to 'cure' out broodys. he ate some food and drank some water, and i put him back in with the rest. they all seemed fine, but im worried this was so traumatic for him hes never gunna lay an egg again! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Poor thing!

3. Jeeper1540

i know! i held him for a while and he felt better, but there is still a chink missing from his cromb. i want to eat his egg with 2 other baby eggs, but if he never lays again i'm going to have to wait for my RIRs! lol

4. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I'm confused. Are you calling that pullet a "he"?

5. Jeeper1540

I am. each set of chickens i have one "roo", but really they are all hens.
    in my first 6 (now 4) chickens, its mean Fred, who always pecks me when im not looking. He also makes a lot of loud noice
    In my second 4 (now 3) chickens, its Jebediah, the one who is mean to the pullets, and, kinda looks like a roo
    In the third 3 chickens, its Indigo, he is top chicken out of the 3 pullets, and just has that "roo look" lol

I dont think i'm crazy. Am i the only one who does this? [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:
    yes, you are a nut job! I have a hen named "Bob" [​IMG]

7. Jeeper1540

lol

8. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:
    yes, you are a nut job! I have a hen named "Bob" [​IMG]

I have a very dominant hen that I call "Big Bertha". Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me, I was feeling a little lost when I read that story. Knew I was missing something. [​IMG]
    I hope Indigo is feeling better now! BTW, LOVE the name Indigo! Is that in reference to ink, or new age philosophy?

9. Jeeper1540

That is what happens when you let your sister name the chicken! lol. I said she could name one and she picked that one, named it Indigo. thought it was weird because he is black, but in the right light, he has a bluish purple tint to him, so maybe she could see the future or something. when she named him he was only black, no sheen.

Here he is when he was young. i need to get some new pics...
    [​IMG]

Quote:yes, you are a nut job! I have a hen named "Bob" [​IMG]

I have a very dominant hen that I call "Big Bertha". Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for me, I was feeling a little lost when I read that story. Knew I was missing something. [​IMG]
    I hope Indigo is feeling better now! BTW, LOVE the name Indigo! Is that in reference to ink, or new age philosophy?

10. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Lol. Tell your sister I think it's a great name!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by