First Egg!!! (And Bloody Egg...)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedBreasted, Mar 25, 2017.

1. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I just wants to make a thread to share that my Easter Egger laid her first egg since last March that I got her as a 2 days old chick. It is a green egg, was expecting blue since her name is blueberry. But on top of it is a bloody egg (yes I only have 5 hens) and is either coming from my Amber White or Buff Orpington. Just wanna know if anythings wrong.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Congrats on the first EE egg!
    Bloody eggs happen from time to time - there is a lot of vasulature in the reproductive tract and all it takes is one tiny rupture to end up with what looks like a LOT of blood on an egg. Unless it becomes a common occurrence it's really nothing to be worried about.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    One other thought - was the blood smeared like that when you found the egg, or is that a result of you handling it? Asking as it could be blood from an internal source of the bird that laid the egg *or* the result of a wounded foot or other blood source that got onto the bottom of a foot and then smeared around as the bird walked over the egg.

4. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    It was already smeared like that. When I go pick the eggs, it was dry but a little wet. And it looks like there's a chance my Brown Leghorn could have bumble foot because the middle toe on the right leg is swollen for over a month now. And she look like she's limping a little bit when walking.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by