First egg and it has been pecked!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by notabadegg, Aug 13, 2014.

1. notabadegg

notabadegg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    So I have been waiting so long to find an egg....the girls have been squatting and singing with red combs and wattles for weeks. It was taking longer than my last batch by quite a bit and I began to suspect an egg eater because I just felt so baffled. Well this morning they were all caring on with the egg song but when I got out there to check there was nothing. A few hours passed and I heard the whole flock going off again and went to check one more time. And there it was, a tiny little fart egg with one solid peck in the center at the top. Is it possible my suspicions have merit? Could I have just caught the egg eater before she got the chance to destroy my breakfast?

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Have you found any other signs of egg eating? Girls with egg on their faces (har har), wet spot where they lay, broken shells?

3. notabadegg

notabadegg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    No. I haven't. But the first egg I found had a solid peck....seems odd to me. Maybe I am too paranoid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by