1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First Egg... and now more questions about my girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PortlandChick, Jul 26, 2011.

1. PortlandChick

PortlandChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Our oldest girl, a Gold-laced Wyandotte, laid her first egg today! We are incredibly proud chicken parents, but we realized we now have more questions as first time Urban Chicken Farmers!

1. Daphne laid her egg in one of her favorite spots out in the yard. We do have gold balls in the nest boxes in the coop, but during the day, they are out in the yard all day and almost never return to their run and coop until bedtime. Is there a way to encourage them to lay in the nest boxes? Should we put the egg in a nest box? We have seven girls so if they all decide to start laying around the yard, we could end up having daily egg hunts.

2. We left the egg in place to take (lots) of pictures, but then she came back and sat on it. We took it away so she wouldn't become broody, but she is still just sitting in her egg laying spot while the other girls are running around the yard. Is this normal for a first time egg layer? She's pecking at the dogs when they come near like she is still protecting her egg. She wouldn't even get up to join the girls for a snack, which, for her, is shocking!

3. The rest of our girls are 2-4 weeks younger than Daphne. When should I switch them over to the layer feed. Do I wait until they are all laying or should I switch now that we have one layer?

Any info is, as always, so appreciated. Wish I could add a picture of our beautiful girl and her first little eggie!

2. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    Good questions, my ladies haven't layed any eggs yet so I'll be following this to see the answer ...preparing for the big day!

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I can't answer your question about getting them to lay in the nest boxes. However, to answer your feed question. We started our pullets on layer feed when they were 18 weeks old and they are doing great.

4. PortlandChick

Mar 20, 2011
    Thanks for the layer feed reply. We still have a ton of grower feed, so maybe I will go the route of adding in the oyster shells that I just read about. Maybe, like with the grit, the layers will take what they need and the others will ignore?

5. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Our cochin X laid her first egg outside the coop too. I put the egg one of the nesting boxes and my husband put the hen in there with it. She took a good look around and then left the box. I collected the egg and we all went about our day (with much complimenting and praise for the hen). The next day (and every day since) she has laid her egg in the same nesting box we put the first one in. It might work for you too!

6. itsmechrissy

itsmechrissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    SE Wisconsin
    OH ohh.. I just checked and there's an egg in the nest box... first egg... my girls are so good, didn't even have to put any fake eggs in the box!!!! Well at least one is good, lets see if the other 3 follow her lead!

7. PortlandChick

Mar 20, 2011
    Great idea! I'll put it out there now and show her where it is. Then we'll see what she does next time.

8. PortlandChick

Mar 20, 2011
    Just went out to put the first egg in a nest box and found another egg in the same spot! Two eggs on her first day! So proud! They are both now in the next box and I popped her into the coop for a moment too, so I hope she takes the hint!

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Mine are coming up on laying time, 16 and 18 weeks old, but I have 3 younger one, so I will feed starter/grower with oyster shell on the side.

10. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Congratulations on your first TWO successful eggs! Are you sure they both belong to the same hen? I was under the impression that it was really rare for one bird to lay two eggs on the same day?? I am excited for my girls to start laying and join our older adoptee. I think I still have a few weeks to go for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by