First Egg Bound Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by purpletree23, Sep 18, 2010.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    One of my hens is egg bound. I've been reading everything I can on BYC about helping her and I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

She is in her own crate. Nice and warm with just water for tonight. Tried to get her to eat and she doesn't have an appetite.
    I gave her a 30 minute warm bath to relax her. I tried to massage her belly but she didn't like it. During the bath she actually closed her eyes 4 or 5 times.

Is it just a waiting game to see if she passes it? Has anyone had luck trying something I haven't heard about?

If she prolapses I will use honey and keep her separate from the others until she heals.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I hope she passes this...I've not had this happen yet so hopefully someone can get on here and offer some advice...bump

Good luck

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Thanks chicks4kids. It's my first one after many years of keeping chickens. It was bound to happen one day I guess. I hope she passes it also. If not I'll put her out of her pain tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by