first egg! (but feel guilty)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick-e-chick, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    We had our first egg yesterday and another one today [​IMG]

Yesterday I was really excited as she was out in the run when I got home but today when I got in she was sitting on the egg.

I let the other two out of their run for a run around and after a few minutes she followed them so I went in to get the egg - but I didn't know if I should leave it for a while? It seemed nasty and wrong taking it as soon as her back was turned.

Should I leave it for a few hours or take it straight away? I'm leaving the golf balls in there for her.

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Well I guess that depends on you....[​IMG]
    I personally take the eggs when I go to the coop weither they have just been layed or not. If I go to the coop and the hen is still on the nest I will wait tile she gets off and then take it, but I have taken it out from under her and let her set on the golf ball, [​IMG].

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    i have no salient advice, but that was a [​IMG]

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I just take them. They don't seem to mind too much and soon go back to the business at hand (eating). [​IMG]

5. chick-e-chick

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Oh I wouldn't take them from under her, you must have mis-read !!!!!

She does go back to the business in hand as though nothing has happened though.... aren't they funny!!

I suppose I get over it LOL.

6. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel guilty tooo.....then I feel guilty about eating them (so I trade them for eggs from Daddy's farm)...that way, there is not "family" connection!!

Ridiculous, I know![​IMG]

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    From a very pratical perspective....

The quicker you take them away the

1) cleaner the eggs will be...ahem...less chance of muddy or poopy feet moving them around and getting them dirty

2) less chance someone will peck or damage the egg/crack it by rolling it around a lot

3) the chicken really doesn't care Trust me, I'll reach under the hens all the time to collect eggs and if they are in laying mode they just sit there.

If you are feeling really guilty (and you really shouldn't), then give them a fake egg or golf ball so they will think they still have an egg to sit on for a little while.

8. chick-e-chick

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Thanks Arlee453, I've got golf balls there for her and I feel a bit better reading the answers!!

Good idea dixiechick, not rediculous at all....I'm going to see if I can 'get over' it though, got two eggs now, so going to boil them this evening and try and eat one.....if I don't I'm sure Steve will eat mine LOL!!!!!!

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Mine has never even tried to sit one. She just drops it with a great deal of relief and walks away. No maternal instinct at all, apparently!! [​IMG]

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    OK - eat your eggs. It's not like the hens would sit on them anyway.

If you don't eat them, all that effort, energy and feed that poor hen put into making that egg will just go to waste, and that's not any way to honor your chickies, is it?? LOL

And if you don't eat yours, someone else will! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by