FIRST EGG! But, it is slightly cracked - some ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marybogue, Jul 29, 2010.

1. marybogue

marybogue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2010
    So my Golden Comet just laid her first egg but it is slightly cracked. It is not cracked all the way through, just a little on the outer shell. So --- is it ok to eat? How do I prevent this from happening again? Thanks!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Sometimes the first couple of eggs can be a little thin shelled. It's ok to eat the egg, just eat it asap. [​IMG] Are you offering oyster shell?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I had a couple of soft shelled eggs from our girls. They were laid at night from the roost which leads me to believe that they were first attempts. Since then all of the eggs have been very solid.

4. marybogue

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Thank you.

I offer oyster shell and feed them Purina Layena. Should I be mixing the oyster shell in with the feed? It has been in a separate feeder thus far.

5. marybogue

Apr 2, 2010
    Quote:Thank you.

I offer oyster shell and feed them Purina Layena. Should I be mixing the oyster shell in with the feed? It has been in a separate feeder thus far.

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Most people say to offer it in a seperate feeder, personally, I just throw some in the regular feeder whenever I fill it up. If you're already offering it though, I'd guess that their shells will firm up soon and that they'll all be just fine. Just make sure you are checking frequently, because a broken egg sitting around for too long is a fast track to having egg eaters, and you definitely don't want THAT! I can say from experience that egg eaters can be fixed, but it's a PAIN! Good luck with your girls, and crongrats on your first eggs!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by