First egg....but who did it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chrispbrown27, Aug 10, 2013.

1. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    So, here is the situation: I have the following mix of chickens 1 speckled sussex, 1 black australorp, 1 silver laced wyandotte, 2 white rocks, 2 partridge rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 pekin ducks, two khaki campbells and one egyptian fayoumis rooster. The only birds that are currently laying are the buff orpingtons who are around a year old and bought later. The 2 partridge rocks and 2 white rocks are right around 20 weeks old (give or take a week) and the rest of the chickens are around 18 weeks (the ducks are around 15 weeks old). Yesterday a friend brought me a rhode island red rooster (she said he is around 17 weeks) she did not want so that I could put him in the freezer. I was a little nervous about him being in with my fayoumis rooster (the RIR is at least twice as big as my fayoumi) but so far no fights at all. Today I go outside and look in the nesting box and find two eggs in there. One was the normal from one of my buff orpingtons, but the other was around half the size. First thought was....well good one of my birds has started to lay. Then....wait, who did it? At the moment I found it three birds were in the coop....one of my buff orpingtons (Jeannie and I know the other egg is hers because her eggs are always layed early in the day and are more narrow than her sisters), the new rhode island red, and my speckled sussex. After coming inside to spread the good word, I decided to do a bit more investigating. When I went back out my australorp, the rhode island red, the speckled sussex and one of the partridge rocks were in the house but upon opening the door the only one that stuck around was the speckled sussex. She stayed right by the nesting box even with me right there which is unusual because she is at the bottom of the pecking order and typically runs for her life anytime anything approaches her. I stood there and watched for a bit and she didn't stray far from the nesting box and would poke her head in the box from time to time to look at the eggs. All signs point to the sussex as the new layer right? Here is the problem with that: she is only around 18 weeks, which from what I have read is just slightly too young, her waddles and comb are still very pink (almost no red at all in them), and she has shown no signs of squatting (though I must admit that I have not been around them as much the past few weeks because of other obligations). Based on waddle coloration i would suspect the 4 rocks (all bright red waddles and combs) or the silver laced wyandotte (bright red too), but I have red that wyandottes are typically the last to start laying. The new RIR could possibly be a hen instead of a roo, but if he is I would be amazed (enormous comb and waddles and long sickle feathers on his tail plus he is only 17 weeks).
    So, based on what I have said....any guesses on who is the new layer?[​IMG]

2. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    Do have any pictures of the birds with bright red combs?

3. chrispbrown27

chrispbrown27 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2013
    The first is of the silver laced. Her waddles and comb are still a little pinkish.
    [​IMG]
    This one is not the best picture, but neither one of the partridge rocks would hold still for a picture.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a close up...once again not a good picture at all....
    [​IMG]

4. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    Looks more like the Wyandotte. My wyandotte's lay a lighter colored egg like the smaller one in your picture. You have a pretty variety of chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by