First Egg. But who laid it?

mstakes

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016

We got our first egg, but we are not sure from which bird. Could be either Plymouth Barred Rock, or production red. Any ideas?

I knew the eggs would be small in the beginning, but I am surprised how small it is. I will be eating a 12 egg omelet at this rate. Haha

We just started getting eggs from our white Plymouth Rock and they look like that. We also have a Barred Rock, but she hasn't laid yet. Soon, because she is getting quite red and singing in a high voice. We have had 3 eggs in the last 2 weeks and they only cost $500! It sure is fun, tho.

I'm in the same boat. I've been eggspecting
tongue.png
my red sexlink & my cuckoo maran to start laying any day. We got our first today. I'm thinking that it's from the sexlink just because of the color, but I'm not sure. What do you think? Any tips for finding out who laid it?

We now have had several dozen eggs.
We have 6 chickens, all different breeds. We do not think our Brahma or Well Summer are laying yet. We also do not know which girl lays which egg, but they are all pretty shades of brown.

To tell which pullet laid first...check vent and pelvic points.
Sometimes you can learn to keep track of what bird lays what eggs by doing this every time you find a new one.

Signs of onset of lay---I've found the pelvic points to be the most accurate.
Squatting:
If you touch their back they will hunker down on the ground, then shake their tail feathers when they get back up.
This shows they are sexually mature and egg laying is close at hand.

Combs and Wattles:
Plump, shiny red - usually means laying.
Shriveled, dryish looking and pale - usually means not laying.
Tho I have found that the combs and wattles can look full and red one minute then pale back out the next due to exertion or excitement, can drive ya nuts when waiting for a pullet to lay!

Vent:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

That's what we are thinking because we found her in the coup looking at it from afar. The others were in the yard.

Your egg looks like our cuckoo maran eggs. They are supposed to be redish chocolate brown. I think they get darker as they go.

Sally, so funny! We got our first egg a week and a half ago...and have been joking that it only cost $900! I saved it; blew out the yolk and white, and spray painted it gold. It's now in a shadow box frame in our kitchen.

I guess we got a deal! My husband and I shared our first egg and made a little omelet. We each had a piece about the size of a postage stamp. Delicious!

Back
Top Bottom