first egg came early! what do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pinky Macgyver, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi, my young Plymouth rock hen surprised me this morning with her first (presumably fertilized) egg. I thought I would have more time to learn about incubation and get/make an incubator. I will go out today for supplies but what should I do with the egg in the meantime? It was cold when I found it, is it ruined?

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

no, it's not ruined. A person can store an egg for up to ten days. Just make sure to keep it in a cool spot, and turn three times a day untill you start incubating it. Good luck on your hatch!

3. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

hi, no the egg will be fine for ten days after laying. Just store it at room temp pointy end down. :)
    or you could fry it and just collect her eggs once you learn more about incubation? Fertilised eggs are fine to eat, there's no chick in or anything. :)

4. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    Thankyou so much, that's such a weight off :)

5. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

I remember when my first hen laid her first egg, i panicked a bit and thought there would be a chick inside or something.. so i put it down my bra to keep warm and then quicky made a homemade incubator ( it didnt work lol) I thought if it got cold it would die! Ive read lots on eggs now though :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    Yeah, I thought of doing the same :p so glad this forum exists. Helped with the panic :) thought I was going to have to find a ride into town asap. So glad I can wait a couple days. :)

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    LOL you all are great!! Collection and storage as well as incubation is all in my notes, your welcome to them! Good Luck! psss we also made our own inubator that link is also in my signature, it is easy and I wouldnt trade it for any bought model!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

8. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. I put mine in my pocket and accidently smushed mine! I thought " OMG... There's a chick in my pocket, THERE'S A CHICK IN MY POCKET!! So I took off my jacket and put it in the trash! :lol: I didn't want to see a dead chick! But no I just wasted a perfect jacket :p

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by