First Egg Caught on Video

OnTheHill

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Western KY
So two weeks ago my husband and I brought home "the girls". I was nervous and everyone on BYC were great to me with lots of info.

Well today is my husbands birthday and I've been telling him all along that one of the girls was going to lay an egg for his birthday. Of course he didn't believe me and I was just joking since we didn't know exactly how old they were. But everyday I would tell the girls "Just 9, 8,7,6,5,etc, days and I need a birthday egg". He would just laugh at me.
0.jpg

This morning the birthday boy and I move the girls to the run and decide to upgrade the door opening on it. I had given the girls some yogurt in a plastic container (which quickly disappeared) while we worked. If you look closely to the right of the hen you will see the nesting box we keep in the run had been moved out while we worked. Anyway I digress....all of a sudden I notice she is sitting in the plastic container and I grabbed my phone and it was awesome!!!!!
celebrate.gif
Sorry you have to hear me praising her but I was sooooo excited!! What a great present - not the egg necessarily - but getting to witness the laying.

Wow great timing! She laid it on his birthday and when you had a camera handy.

I know a hen's instinct mostly takes over in this situation, but I wonder what the hen thinks about laying the first egg, before it just becomes routine.

Anyway, happy birthday chicken dad OnTheHill!

Thank you. I was so surprised that she didn't make a sound. Really glad we were working right there and we didn't miss it.

Wow great timing! She laid it on his birthday and when you had a camera handy.

I know a hen's instinct mostly takes over in this situation, but I wonder what the hen thinks about laying the first egg, before it just becomes routine.

Anyway, happy birthday chicken dad OnTheHill!
Exactly! How cool is that?? I've never seen an egg being laid before! That's exciting!!
wee.gif

Haha such a proud mama you are! Love it!
we just got our first eggs and the first one I crack was a double.i was jumping with joy

Congrats on your first egg!! I know the reasons doubles happen has nothing to do with me or their care but it really is a neat feeling to break open that first egg to a double. It is such fun. My husband has even said he never anticipated getting so much enjoyment from them. Happy egg collecting:

Back
Top Bottom