1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg coming! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickandcoop, Feb 29, 2016.

1. chickandcoop

chickandcoop New Egg

Jan 4, 2016
    Hi! My sweet little bantam cochin, Bella, is 5 months old and laying her first egg. We do have a rooster.

I've read/heard some different things about what I should do. Should I take it from her? Someone at my local feed store advised that these girls can be grumpy if their first eggs are taken and said she might not lay me another. If I do let her sit on it, how do I ensure she gets enough to drink/eat? And if the egg is fertilized, do I do anything differently? Or will a chick simply emerge in a while and she'll mother it? I'm new to this ...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Amanda

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Collect eggs daily. Newly laying pullets will not typically go broody. Leaving the eggs will not cause her to start brooding. Likewise, having a rooster around will not induce broodiness. Removing the eggs, once laid, will not make her grumpy or make her stop laying. Do not stick you hand under her while she is trying to lay, though. That will make her grumpy.
    The eggs will not spontaneously start to develop. They must be incubated, either by a broody hen or in an incubator.

1 person likes this.
  3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Irish Colleen Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    x2

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by