FIRST EGG Coronation Sussex and color mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NinetreesMom, Sep 10, 2012.

1. NinetreesMom

NinetreesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Dixie, WA
    OK, so apparently joining BYC last week was a lucky charm for me, because 2 of my girls laid their first eggs today! First Ava (see previous thread) and now Marshmallow, our Coronation Sussex. OK, I am not positive that this is Marshmallow's first egg... but it is the first that is for sure hers. It is so smooth brown it is shiny, and looks pink next to my other brown eggs. So here is the mystery... we were out of town for 4 days over Labor Day, and returned to find our nest box full of eggs. 2 of our girls have been laying for awhile, so we expected this. However, out in the run, there were 2 eggs on the ground... a first. One was brown and looked like the ones our wyandotte lays. The other was so light brown it was almost white. We have never had an egg like this before, so I assumed it was Marshmallow's first. However, now her egg is smooth shiny brown, even a smidge darker than the wyandotte's. I now think maybe both eggs in the run were hers. Is it possible that they could change color this much? I guess one of the chickens must have, because it didn't fall from the sky! Input?
    Beautiful little egg:
    [​IMG]
    Proud Hen: Marshmallow
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never seen a coronation sussex lay an egg that dark. They are usually a light pinky tan color.

3. NinetreesMom

Aug 15, 2012
    Dixie, WA
    I was expecting a much lighter egg, which is why I suspected the one on the ground was hers, but all four of our girls laid yesterday ( my first four for four day:D), and all were this basic color except the super dark wellie egg. I SAW her go into the nest box and lay, then my Wyandotte got in there before I snagged the egg, but one of the eggs looked exactly like the ones the Wyandotte has been laying, which left this one from the Sussex...regardless of which was hers, they are both brown as brown can be. I am very curious to see what her next few eggs look like as I am pretty confused at this point!

4. NinetreesMom

Aug 15, 2012
    Dixie, WA
    So it is confirmed, my Sussex is laying beautiful shiny smooth medium-brown eggs; 3 total so far:D

5. Sweetman1205

Sweetman1205 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    Totally awesome!! Neptune laid her first on Christmas Day! It was small and fairly dark as well [​IMG] congratulations!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by