First egg covered in blood, normal or bad? (pic)

Poliwag

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Australia
I discovered one of my silkies in the nesting box and she looked like she was trying to do a poop
tongue.png

Anyway, I discovered the egg was covered in blood (picture below). It broke from the thump to the bottom of the box (I was next to the box watching her). It's covered with blood on both sides. As far as I know, she has never layed an egg before. I have 3 other silkies who have each layed a few eggs in the past but have stopped due to broodiness and the cold weather (Australia, it's almost winter).

CameraPictures1526.jpg

Just a curious question, do all chooks lay the same size/shape eggs each time?

I've seen eggs like this before, but it was a one a one time thing, so didn't worry about it-you shouldbe OK. Also, they will lay different sized eggs, I don't know why. We had a BR that would occasionally lay huge eggs w/ double yolks. Very interesting.

That does happen. Not always but it is common when they start to lay. Sometimes it continues for a little bit. Watch her and see if she seems ok. Drinking? Eating? If she is then I wouldn't worry.

Sometimes, the first egg or two to come out when a chicken first starts laying eggs have some blood smears on them. It's not a good thing, but it's a normal thing. It should go away soon. I've even had that happen with a chicken that quit laying for the winter, with her first egg in the spring, although that's more rare. I always feel bad for the girls when this happens. There's not much I can do about it, but I give an extra nice treat when I find those and tell the girls how much I appreciate their hard work laying all these eggs.

You can put a little 'personal lubricant' (KY jelly or similar) in the vent of a hen that is having a hard time laying an egg, and that can help out.

I just found another one of her eggs, it has some blood on it as well. Only on one side and it's only a light bit. Is it possible that she tore her skin while pushing out the egg? >.<

Quote:
I had a black sexlink that laid bloody eggs for about her first MONTH of laying!!!!!!! I never thought it would last that long!!!! But she acted normal in all other ways, and eventually the problem resolved itself.
hu.gif

All six of my pullets laid a bloody egg on their first try with one EE first egg being very bloody with even a few drops of blood on the nest bottom as well. That was it- first egg only- they all came out clean as a whistle after that and all the girls were no worse for the wear.
big_smile.png

I've noticed with my BA hen, her first few eggs were small to medium in size. Now, 6 months practice,& she's laying medium to lsrge sized eggs. Another hen of mine, an Aracauna(3years old) lays large eggs. once in a while, she'll give us a double-yolker. Those eggs are "jumbo sized!

Back
Top Bottom