First Egg Day...and Then It Happened

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goldtopper, Jul 31, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    [​IMG]
    Went out this morning to check the coop for eggs. My GL Wyandottes have been squatting and sitting in little bowls they cleared in the litter. Guess they aren't too sure about the nest boxes!
    I looked and then there it was -ahhhhhhhhh(angel's voices)- my first egg! Medium sized and tan, it was perfect, thank you miss Jan!
    Brought it in, showed the kids, everyone's happy.
    About an hour ago, DW is crafting at the table, she turns around and knocks the egg out of it's little temporary shrine. SPLAT, right on the floor!

Turns out Lena, my chocolate Lab enjoyed our first egg the most!

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Noooooooooooooooooo! Oh, I am sorry that you did not get to taste the very first egg. [​IMG]

3. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    I am so sorry! [​IMG]

I drive the lawn tractor out to the coop and it can be pretty bumpy. And, sigh!, I do need two hands to drive it. I sure was expecting an egg soon, but when it arrived last Wednesday, I was thoroughly UNprepared. I could not find one thing in the barn that I felt comfortable would transport that precious nugget safely to the house. Desperation leads to desperate measures....I pulled and yanked on my (ahem! and whispers *bra*) until it was nearly void of elasticity. Tucked the egg in safe and sound and reached the house without incident.

I have other bras...I will never have another *first* egg so I feel your pain [​IMG] especially for your wife whom I am sure feels the worst [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Our dog stole my first egg and ate it before I noticed it was missing. Stupid dog! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by