1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg! Dec 4th!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by viktoriacl, Dec 4, 2010.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    One of my 4 EEs laid her first egg. I think it was Ryan! They were born on the 14th of May! My husband thinks someone is playing a joke on us and put it there! It's small and tan. It was on the coop floor between the feeder,water dish and the big coop door. I think if someone was messing with us they would have put it in the nesting box! I'm afraid to be excited![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    I don't think anyone is messing with you. That looks just like the starter eggs I've been getting lately. Congratulations. It's exciting isn't it. When mine started laying a month and a half ago, I started checking the nest boxes nearly every hour.

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Congrats. Mine started laying a few weeks back. Now one of them is eating her own eggs. Grrr.

4. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Congrats!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mine just started laying last week. It's so cool!

5. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Woohoo! Congrats, I hope mine start laying someday!

6. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    I cant wait to look again tomorrow! I never thought I'd see an egg in there! Now to get her in the nesting box! There is another hen that looks ready but only the one that I am guessing laid, has squatted. She only did it twice too. Weird.

7. swimmer

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    It's the longest wait ever. But the day you find your first egg makes it worth the wait.

8. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    I was shocked! So funny. I just stared at it. I really didnt think it would happen until spring! I was very excited!!!

9. TNBarnQueen

TNBarnQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Quote:You can blow an eggs contents out and fill it with mustard if they are eating their eggs...a friend told me this...I have not had that problem so far...but interested to see if it works.

10. swimmer

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Tomorrow morning the mustard egg will be put in the nest box.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by