First egg disaster.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwegg, Dec 29, 2010.

1. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Well my three baby cochins are about 6 months and one started laying Christmas day..yay! And this morning I went out and another was laying in the hay and not well...I checked her out and saw that she had tried to lay her first egg and she had pushed her insides out and the egg had not broken out of the membrane.

Rushed her in and bathed her in a warm bath and the egg came out without much trouble. I have tried to push everything back in and mostly have but some still hanging out a bit. Have dried her off, put her in small dog crate in dark bathroom with water and scrambled egg. Will check on her again soon.

Anything else I should be doing? I did put vasoline on my finger and gently pushed it back in but she then strained and pushed it out again? Most went in...

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Use a little Preparation H on the prolapse and keep trying to push it back in. The Prep H will decrease the swelling of the tissues so they may stay in. Warm baths will also help to get the prolapse back in. I'd also put her in a darkened cage for a few days to discourage egg laying. She needs to be kept from her flock mates so they don't start picking at the prolapse. If the prolapse continues to pop out then she will need to be seen by a vet.

Good luck.

3. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I have also had very good results with Preperation H. I also keep them away from the others who will go after the prolapse. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by