First Egg Eaten?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flspnr, Oct 24, 2011.

1. flspnr

flspnr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    This past week, the Roo has been crowing in the morning, so he goes inside the house and comes out to the coop about 9 or so.

This morning, I heard a lot of noise from the coop, and the Roo was still inside. I went to investigate, and saw nothing going on, just the girls walking around, talking, and pecking on the remains of the watermelon they got last night.

I went back inside.

About a half an hour later, I went outside again, and again nothing going on. Both times I checked the nest box and all around the coop hoping for my first egg, but nothing!

About 9 I went to put the rooster in the coop, and I noticed something white on Peep's nose. Looked like a tiny piece of egg shell. I got it off her, and it easily broke between my nails, was thinner than the oyster shell, and very white.

I thought she would be a brown egger, but could this have been her first egg and she ate it?! She's a self blue OEGB, not sure what eggs she's supposed to lay, but I thought it was brown. This piece though was definitly white, not tinted even a little. I'm not sure what else it could be - maybe the oyster shell stuck on her after eating some watermelon? But I wouldn't expect oyster shell to break that easily I guess.

Any guesses??

[​IMG]
    The blue one is the one that had the white piece on her nose...This pic was taken a few weeks ago.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Probably a thin piece of oyster shell.

3. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Whew, thanks!!

4. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    Am I right thinking they're both brown eggers?

5. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    They look a little young to lay.....[​IMG]

6. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    The pic was taken a few weeks ago - got to get a couple better ones! They're 21 weeks old right now. [​IMG]

7. blazensasha

blazensasha Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Old Miakka,FL
    I agree with Debbiedee kinda of young still,give it time some of mine didn't start until much older. 20 weeks just seems like a basic timeline.

8. flspnr

Sep 23, 2011
    Gibsonton, FL
    I'll keep an eye out, I really want some eggs! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by