First egg EVER today

whytedragon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Floresville, Texas
I got my 2 RIR hens off of Craigslist about 1 1/2 weeks ago. They're adults, but that's all I know...and that they were laying.

Today I got my first egg from one of them...but I'm wondering if this means tomorrow or soon after I should be expecting another?

fldiver97

Enabler
11 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Middleton, WI
My Coop
My Coop
woot.gif
congrats on the first egg!! It depends....some chickens lay an egg almost every some not. Different breeds plus different ages all play a role. So does hours of daylight and temperature to an extend. Sometimes they will lay for a few days, then not.......If you know your chickens breed you can look it up to see what they lay on average. Pullets are erratic when they first start. Also I read that egglaying peaks at 1 - 2 years and then slows. But not every chicken 'goes by the book'....
D.gif

whytedragon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Floresville, Texas
Thanks for the reply, I know I am so excited to have gotten my first egg, and just as excited to get the 2nd, lol.
We just added 3 new hens today, 1 Barred Rock and 2 Silver Laced Feather Footed Cochins. They are so beautiful!
I dunno if that has any effect on egg laying, since they are establishing a pecking order...thinking they may hold off. But I guess we will see!

easttxchick

Lone Star Call Ducks
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Congrats on the hens and the eggs!
clap.gif

My PR hen started laying 12 days ago and hasn't missed a day. She is awesome

Top Bottom