first egg EVER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cupman, Aug 31, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    So this morning I let my girls out, 12 of them, 11 hens 1 rooster, they had a great ole time. I went out in the early afternoon to feed them their treats, only counted 11... So I searched my property and stupid me I checked my chicken coop last... well, saw my white leghorn in there hunched down... They turned 20 weeks on Tuesday. So I thought, leave her alone, I'll come back tonight. I went to a friends, we picked a bunch of beans he grew and we decided to pickle them, jar them... was a fun day. I get home, white leghorn is out and about, I go in my coop check, her space.... small white egg waiting for me... my first. So excited, I come inside to my 2 housemates, they join the excitement, I walk in the kitchen............bam.. drop it.... my first egg is on the floor, cracked one edge of the egg.. I tell my roommates, they don't believe me, saying how stupid can you be no way... well... no joke. So we were able to preserve about 90% of it, only one edge cracked and we got majoirty... we made an egg sandwich, split it into thirds and ate it.

Everyone was happy, even though I did everything to start the chickens my roommates have grown to love them just like me, so we all loved it. Next step: teaching my birds to use the nextboxes I built... [​IMG]

2. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Dude, 5 second rule totally applies to the first egg, EVER! [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Congrats on your first egg! Um....I broke my first egg too, so you're not alone.....[​IMG]

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a special day! I blew out my first egg and saved the shell but DH smashed it accidentally. Funny how a year later it's still exciting to find eggs..

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    [​IMG]

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yep, eggs are lovely. Glad your roommates enjoyed the egg as well. [​IMG]

7. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Update: My second hen started laying today, I locked the white leghorn up in the run so she would learn to use the boxes (my coop is a bit crowded, so I put the nesting boxes in the covered run) well I didn't want her to be locked up alone so I locked 3 others up with her, well I go to check to see if miss white leghorn laid and egg and welp, found myself a brown egg... so one of those three became my second layer and I got my second egg, I didn't drop this one thankfully.

Right now the white leghorn is just circling the coop, in and out of the run, trying to find a way into the house where she laid her egg yesterday. I feel bad, she is pacing back and forth. I can tell she wants to lay an egg, I've seen her jump in and out of the nesting boxes a dozen times but she always seems to hop out after awhile. I'm sure she'll learn.

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Put an egg in the nestbox. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by