1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First egg, first egg, FIRST EGG!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Krazyquilts, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Today, at 6 months and one day old, one of our ducks laid her first egg!

I'm so excited I feel like I laid the egg!

[​IMG]

She even laid it in the nest box!!!! Right next to the two wooden dummy eggs that a friend turned for us on my husband's lathe. It's the browner one on the right.

[​IMG]

I was triple-ly impressed because not only did one of our ducks 1) Finally lay an egg, 2) Lay it in the nest box, but also because 3) nobody had pooped on it! :p

Attempt at an "artsy" shot.

[​IMG]

And for scale, here it is next to a nice brown chicken egg from the farmers market. Perhaps a teeny bit on the small size, but still - first egg!!!!

[​IMG]

The duck who laid it was either our Welsh Harlequin or one of our two Buffs because supposedly the our Cayugas' eggs will be blacker for the first while, from what I've read. At this point, I had about given up on any eggs until spring. I was even complaining loudly to some friends last night about it, and here one of the ducks went and laid an egg this morning!

The ducks are so getting extra treats today!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Congratulations! I remember when I got my first egg. I knew it would happen eventually, but it was still surprising and miraculous lol!

3. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

4. old dixie

old dixie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2017
    South Carolina
    Yes congrats! My ducks used to poop up a storm in the nest boxes and everywhere. But once they started laying eggs in there they stopped. Thought that was interesting. They're smarter than I gave them credit for.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Congrats!!

6. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

OMG - I found a SECOND EGG!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

This afternoon, after giving the ducks the rest of a bag of grapes - I figured one of them deserved extra treats - I started adding a new layer of straw in their house since the lil cuties poop so much and thought, "I'd better check the nest box again. How funny would it be if there was a second egg, lol." Still laughing to myself, I about fell backwards out of their house when I discovered another egg beside the two wooden ones!!!

I can't believe it - two ducks deciding to lay their first eggs on the same day! I wonder if it was the Buffs; they were always slightly ahead of the others at every other development stage.

Now I think dinner will be popovers instead of pancakes since we now have two duck eggs!!!!!!!!!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks very similar to my Buffs egg color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by