First Egg!! First Egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HollyKMS, Dec 8, 2009.

1. HollyKMS

HollyKMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    I can't believe it! I clean the henhouse every morning but I forgot yesterday and today. I just went out (I couldn't stand the guilt of them having nearly 2 days of poo in there) and found one single beautiful perfect egg in the nest box!! I can't believe the feeling that washed over me! It was like--maternal pride! The joy of success! What a great feeling!!

So I'm running to the house to show the kids, esp my 7-yr-old daughter who hand-feeds them a couple times every day & really loves them, and I drop it in the garage. [​IMG]

All good feelings cracked on the floor with the egg. [​IMG] (I've since recovered & am ecstatic again! lol)

Well, that's just the story of my life... *sigh*

Anywho, I still took a picture of it so hopefully one of you can tell me which bird did it!!! Someone at a chicken show told me that all banties lay very light or whitish eggs, no matter the breed, but this one is a lovely cream and seemed to have teensy dark specks on it in places- I'm very happy about that!!

It can't be Wyandotte because she's in failing health and living in the garage with the chicks for the past two days. Rhodie still seems so small, I thought maybe Australorp or Welsummer....? They were all around 6mos on Dec 1 btw...

YAYAYAYAYAY!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Congratulations on your first egg! [​IMG]
    Murphy's law happens. Sorry about the breakage. What a shame. [​IMG]
    Hard to tell who might of laid it. Check for red comb and waddle and other tell tale laying signs.

3. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    TY Pampered! It's still a joyous time, despite the breakage [​IMG]

The Welsummer seems the most filled-out and her wattle's a lovely red now...

CHICKENS RULE!!!! [​IMG]

4. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    i want a welsummer because they have speckled tendencies... so she would be my guess...
    grats on the first egg!!!

i still get excited every time i find out another has started laying.. .lol...

5. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    Quote:THANKS EVONNE!!! That's great to know!

I HIGHLY recommend a Welsummer. She's the best all-around chicken of our 4 IMHO. She's sturdy without being borish, not dominant or meek - She's basically Switzerland (ha)- She won't tolerate being picked on but never starts crap with anyone smaller or lower (that I've ever seen). She's VERY smart- smartest of the 4 IMHO. 'Very friendly with us but also cautious enough not to be easy prey. Can fly pretty well, too, considering her size (she's the largest/bulkiest of our 4 bantams)

I love all my girls though! Even the uber-aloof Wyandotte [​IMG]

[I wonder how many days it will be until I have another egg?! *shudder of excitement* (Wow I'm easy to please lol)]

6. Georgiapea

Georgiapea Out Of The Brooder

I'm so sorry your egg fell but congratulations on getting it. I got my first egg today also and was actually surprised at the wonderful feeling it gave me.

7. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Way to go on your first egg, its so fun when you find the first one.

I got my first egg about 4 wks ago from my little old english game bantam, she has laid exactly 1 a wk now and they are oh so tasty. I felt like Charlie in Willy wonka when he found the golden ticket, except I felt like I found the golden egg...very eggciting.

8. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    Quote:CONGRATULATIONS!! Oh-and VERY NICE NAME, going with Georgia Pea re Georgia Peach ... Niiiiiice! [​IMG]

Tibanks- LOL @ "very eggciting" !

9. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    congrats on the egg [​IMG]
    i was excited when my chickens started laying too. i was away and was informed by a text [​IMG]
    sorry about the breakage [​IMG] I've had that experience too. I was carrying my runaway chicken back to the back garden and she laid an egg while i was walking. it fell to the ground and broke.

10. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    Well, I'm up and down on the chicken roller coaster. (Hold on, I might have to puke.) [​IMG]

Had first egg [​IMG]
    Dropped egg. [​IMG]
    Chicken died. [​IMG]
    Rhode Island Red got eye infection [​IMG]
    Had some eye anti-biotic on hand to treat her [​IMG]
    Had TWO eggs today! A 2nd pullet is laying!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

(The egg to the far left is a large commercial egg out of the frig, for size comparision.) I know that the pretty speckled one is Welsummer. Question is- who laid the tiny one? RIR & Australorps are both supposed to lay 'brown' eggs and this one is a creamy off-white. RIR is the smallest and her wattle is brighter than Australorp's, so I'm betting it's her.

Anyone know for sure if RIR banties lay off-white eggs instead of brown?

YAY! A good ending to a day with a not-so-great beginning!

Now I just have to figure out how many of these tiny buggers it'd take to make one omelet- LOL

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by